join the walden team!
Position: Chief Financial Officer
The Walden School seeks a full-time Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to start on July 1, 2024. Located in Media, PA (just outside Philadelphia), The Walden School is an independent, coeducational day school providing Montessori-based education to 130 students from PK through eighth grades. The CFO will lead, oversee, and steward all financial operations at The Walden School. As a key senior Leadership Team member, the CFO will report directly to the Head of School (HOS), collaborate closely with The Walden School Board of Trustees (BOT), and contribute to the institution's long-term strategic and financial planning. In addition to financial responsibilities, the CFO will also manage facilities, maintenance, and school building operations.
The CFO must be tech-savvy and able to use various software tools to provide real-time insights and conduct strategic analysis. The CFO must be increasingly aware of emerging technologies and their impact on the School, competition, and industry. The CFO works closely with the School’s technology partner to understand and mitigate information risk to protect the institution’s assets.
Candidates with at least five years of financial leadership experience, preferably in an educational or non-profit setting, are sought. Expertise in complex financial instruments, experience with capital projects, and an ability to develop financial strategies aligning with strategic priorities are crucial. Exceptional interpersonal skills and collaborative teamwork with faculty, staff, and families are prerequisites.
The position offers a competitive salary based on experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package and tuition remission. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of references with the subject line "CFO" at their earliest convenience. For more details about The Walden School, please visit the website at www.thewaldenschool.org.
- Responsible for all functions of the Business Office, including financial (cash receipts, cash disbursements, and payroll), endowments, and human resources, including onboarding new staff, benefits administration, health benefits, 403B plan, and disability.
- Maintain accounts related to nonprofit organizations following the pronouncements of the Financial Accounting Standards Board of the American Institute of Public Accountants.
- Annually schedule an independent audit of the School, working with the CPA firm to provide an analysis of specific financial accounts and implement corrective action regarding the Management Letter.
- Management of the school’s insurance, including general liability, excess liability, educators' legal liability, workers' compensation, fiduciary and cyber liability.
- Manage the risk management program to ensure the best pricing and insurance program and reduce risk exposure to the School.
- Control and manage the cash and bank accounts of the School, participating in all banking relations.
- Prepare the annual operating budget and present it to the Trustees for approval.
- Prepare quarterly financial reports for Trustees, management, and department managers.
- Develop and implement financial strategies that support the School’s mission and goals, are consistent with the organization’s fiscal policy, and comply with state and federal laws.
- Engage in cooperative decision-making with the Head of School and Board of Trustees; serve as liaison to the Finance Committee. Support the Head of School and the Finance Committee in setting up the succeeding year’s tuition to support the enrollment/re-enrollment process.
- Work to create new revenue opportunities consistent with the strategic plan.
- Pursue and analyze alternate sources of financing with the state and federal agencies to provide the lowest cost of money to support programs and activities.
- Oversee capital projects, existing and new construction, renovations, off-campus sites, and develop deferred maintenance schedules.
- Actively participate in professional organizations such as PAIS, PAISBOA, NAIS, ADVIS, and NWork to create new revenue opportunities consistent with the strategic plan.
Strong administrative and leadership skills. Ability to communicate effectively with various constituencies, including parents, faculty, staff, Board of Trustees, and the school community. Compliance with generally acceptable accounting practices, timely reporting, and accurate representation of the school’s financial position. Ability to demonstrate leadership, motivation, and team building. Computer literacy and working knowledge of accounting software. Degree in accounting, business, finance, or equivalent. Experience as a controller or senior finance/accounting manager.
- An MBA, CPA, or CMA is preferred.
- Experience working in an independent school is highly desirable.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of responsible management experience in an independent school, collegiate environment, or non-profit.
- Comprehensive knowledge of accounting, reimbursement, financial compliance, cash management, contracting, purchasing, risk management, and investing.
- Proven ability to develop a financial strategy and provide vital business insights.
- Strong business acumen and a demonstrated ability to manage teams and vendor relationships.
- Outstanding oral and written communication with the ability to present data and ideas effectively to various constituencies.
- High computer literacy with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Must understand the importance of customer service and provide leadership in ensuring that the Business Office is seen as a positive department within the school/organization.
- Must be a team player and desire to work positively with the Senior Leadership team, staff members in the Business Office, and the community in general.
Assume other responsibilities as requested by the Head of School, including but not limited to the work assigned in the Strategic Plan.
Please send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Bob Thomas, Head of School, email@example.com.
Position: Substitute Teacher - all grade levels - As needed Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 3:00
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR ALL POSITIONS PLEASE SUBMIT:
Resume, cover letter, and three professional references
FOR TEACHING POSITIONS PLEASE SUBMIT:
Resume, cover letter, statement of educational philosophy, and three professional references
Copy of any and all teaching certificates
FOR ALL POSITIONS PLEASE SUBMIT THESE EMPLOYMENT FORMS:
FBI Fingerprint Clearance - Make an appointment HERE
The Walden School is an equal-opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its hiring practices.