Director of Communications and Development
The Director of Communications and Development is responsible for building successful communications and philanthropic strategies for The Walden School. This role ensures effective communication for the school and is responsible for designing and implementing all fundraising activities. These include leading the Annual Fund, the Bid, Sip, and Celebrate Gala, and overseeing other aspects of the development program, including soliciting corporate and foundation proposals, creating a strong alumni relationship, and running special development events.
Reporting directly to the Head of School (HoS) and as a member of the Leadership Team, they will serve as a primary creative force behind all internal and external communications, taking the lead on guiding and interpreting institutional identity and brand. The Director will work closely with the Head of School, the Associate Head of School, the Director of Enrollment, and the CFO to connect with and build a strong communications strategy and culture of philanthropy within the community. This is a full-time, 12-month position beginning April 3, 2023.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Collaborate with the Enrollment Office on communications and marketing initiatives and to create/produce communication materials to expand and enhance the school’s visibility and reputation.
- Design and manage newsletters, including creating and collecting content.
- Social Media: Manage multiple social channels, including daily content creation and community engagement.
- Print Design: Work with others to design logos, invitations, programs, banners, and brochures, from conceptualization to distribution; must have an understanding of printing processes and proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (inDesign and Illustrator) or similar applications.
- Email Marketing: Design and create written and visual content for fundraising and marketing emails through Mailchimp; must have strong writing skills.
- Video: Produce videos for social media, website, and email, including scripting, filming, lighting, audio, and editing; must have a basic understanding of iMovie or Adobe Premiere or a similar application.
- Photo: Shoot and edit photos for print and digital publication, including social media and websites; have an understanding of Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom or a similar application.
- Web: Front-end management of the website, including creating visual and written content; must have a basic understanding of user experience.
- Enhance existing relationships while building new relationships, systems, and programs that further tap into the generosity and resources of the community. This includes personally soliciting major donors.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with a variety of stakeholders. Work with individual donors and online campaigns to support annual fundraising goals.
- Oversee communications supporting annual solicitations and other external communications with donors.
- Supervise and nurture the Parent Ambassadors.
- Implement and maintain fundraising software to ensure accurate donor and development reports, as well as communicate and acknowledge donations.
- Maintain a database of all contributors and provide development reports as required.
- Coordinate all Development volunteers (mostly Parent Ambassador members).
A successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- An engaging, warm demeanor -- someone who connects well with families, teachers, and students and who exudes enthusiasm, compassion, and positivity.
- Collaborate with the Leadership Team to identify organizational strategies and solutions to ongoing challenges and opportunities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, as well as leadership experience.
- Commitment to bringing the lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion into the school’s communications and into the school overall.
- Experience in Communication and Development.
- Technical skills, including experience with databases and school information systems.
- Independence and the ability to initiate work proactively; function well in a team.
Experience in independent schools is a huge plus, but optional.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and a sample writing piece to email@example.com.
join the walden team!
Position: Substitute Teacher - all grade levels - As needed Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 3:00
Position: Extended Day Staff - all grade levels - As needed Monday - Friday, 3:00 - 5:30
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR ALL POSITIONS PLEASE SUBMIT:
Resume, cover letter, and three professional references
FOR TEACHING POSITIONS PLEASE SUBMIT:
Resume, cover letter, statement of educational philosophy, and three professional references
Copy of any and all teaching certificates
FOR ALL POSITIONS PLEASE SUBMIT THESE EMPLOYMENT FORMS:
Pennsylvania Criminal History - Link HERE (Preview the form HERE)
Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance - Link HERE (Preview the form HERE)
FBI Fingerprint Clearance - Make an appointment HERE
The Walden School is an equal-opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its hiring practices.